So after we ran out of material to build the dome, we waited for a couple of days for the fire bricks and rest of the clay to arrive.
We attempted to build it again yesterday.
We employed a little bit of innovation, and a little bit of Jugaad – by this time we had stopped following instructions we’d picked up off the internet completely.
To create a larger dome, we literally glued the fire bricks together to form a 4 layered perimeter of bricks. Our gluing agent was Araldite, easily available at your local hardware store.
Once we were done with that, we had to fill in the gaps between the columns of fire bricks and give our dome a nice smooth outer layer of clay. We were a little weary about the clay mixture since it had developed cracks after drying the last time, but we decided to follow one last instruction from the internet: Mix the clay with regular sand (which we got from some construction sites) and hay – these two elements would act as a binding force to prevent the clay from cracking after drying.
Tip: Be careful when mixing in the hay; it tends to cut your hands.
After much hard work and caking the walls with the mixture, we finally got our wood fired oven.
True, the first attempt at heating the oven and baking pizza lead to one very charred and non-edible pizza, but the next (eight) were good!
We did bump into a few obstacles down the path like not anticipating the magnitude of heat and nearly burning our hands while putting in and taking out the pizza, but eight mouth watering pizzas made all our effort worth it!