SAP introduced the Emerging Entrepreneurship Initiative in India as a part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) focus areas in early 2013.
SAP CSR Vision
The vision of SAP CSR is to create a sustainable and inclusive economic environment to drive growth and contribute to the larger nation-building initiative. We propose to achieve our vision by equipping emerging entrepreneurs and social enterprises with skill sets to propel and accelerate their business growth.
|SAP‘s Vision||SAP‘s People & Talent||Innovation & Growth Drivers|
|By 2020 we will have supported 1 million young people to thrive in the digital economy, enabled 200 non-profit organizations and Social Enterprises and Startups to function better in the digital and emerging economy.||Every employee has talent; and Every employee can be a volunteer.
By 2020 we will have extended the employee volunteer engagement program by 500,000 volunteer hours, strengthened employee engagement basis the SAP leadership principles and how we run culture.
|By 2020 we will have enabled (in partnership) high profile tech showcases to pressing social issues; OR
Developed volume tech program for NPOs.
SAP Corporate Social Responsibility engagement for entrepreneurship development
- Foster social entrepreneurship ecosystem, propel social businesses and emerging social enterprises by accelerating their business, de-risk the inherent business, product risks and provide mentorship support.
- Build the capacity of social enterprises to address unmet social needs and create employment opportunity.
- Create sustainable and inclusive economic environment through vibrant entrepreneurship ecosystem and facilitate emerging entrepreneurs to be successful.
Specific objectives for SAP for Startups and Social Startup Development initiatives
- Drive social enterprise accelerators and mentorship bootcamps engaging SAP experts through innovative and strategic partners e.g. CIIE, to positively impact the startup growth.
- Create growth oriented and investible startup upon successful completion of an accelerator
- SAP experts and thought leaders to share best practices, relevant know-how and disrupting trends in the startup ecosystem
- Strategic and Innovative Partnerships have are underway with the following startup organisations.
- Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship at IIM Ahmedabad;
- SINE at IIT Bombay ; and
- D-Labs at the Indian School of Business Hyderabad
- The impact of SAP CSR initiatives and social entrepreneurship development in 2016 is as follows.
Going forth, the vision of SAP CSR for the future for social entrepreneurship development includes:
- Strengthening and propelling the entrepreneurship ecosystem with long term engagement and commitment.
- Continually accelerate the efforts with regional focus where the entrepreneurship ecosystem development related infrastructure is inadequate or non-existent. Regions that have strong potential for creating innovation, addressing social problems with grass root innovation and that can create employment opportunities will be the focus.
- Enhance and expand our focus to support, accelerate, mentor and incubate social enterprises that significantly address social unmet needs and create innovative solutions, as well as more employment opportunities at the national level.
- While our initiatives are domain agnostic, we would be keen accelerate, mentor or support ventures in smart healthcare, smart agriculture, energy, sustainability, education, smart cities and citizen civic services amongst other domains that are pertinent for India’s economic development as well as create employment opportunities.
- To support livelihood accelerators that predominantly focus on employment creation.
- In the coming year, we would like to see that technology to be an enabler for last mile connectivity, creating sustainable and inclusive social impact. Our efforts with incubator partners will focus on such innovations and social startups.
- We would further explore how we leverage or enable stronger connect to social startups with SAP ecosystem and customers.
- Additionally, our initiatives focus on youth entrepreneurship initiatives. The objective here is to ingrain the seeds of entrepreneurship and leverage the innovative streak amongst the millennials to have them embrace entrepreneurship as a career option.
- SAP established the Faculty Fellow Endowed Chair at IIM Ahmedabad to provide thought leadership and foster social innovation. The professor chair will further create research and knowledge to leverage various stakeholders including startups, academia, government and corporates alike.
SAP Startup program offer to Indian startups
- Access to customers: Start-ups may get an opportunity to work with SAP business development teams to successfully sell their solutions to SAP customers
- Supporting the start-up journey: SAP supports awareness and training on essentials of entrepreneurship through events on relevant topics like intellectual property rights, team building, getting funding and sustainability etc.
- Enabling the CSR grants: Innovative & growth-oriented startups, who demonstrated business agility for the scale up during the accelerator, are provided with the grants. The selection of such startups is done collaborative by CIIE and SAP experts, during the pitch session.
Head – Corporate Social Responsibility APJ and India
Download the full SAP India – Social Entrepreneurship Development report here